Butterfly-pea flower tea is a caffeine-free herbal tea, made from the leaves of the Clitoria ternatea plant.
It has been consumed for centuries as a memory enhancer, brainbooster, anti-stress and calmative agent.
It has an earthy taste, similar to the flavour of unsweetened green tea.
The most unique attribute of this plant is that it is a colour-changing tea. The blue colour of the tea changes to deep violet or purple when the pH level is altered. The addition of lemon juice or another acid causes these color changes.
Make the Butterfly Pea Infusion Base
- This unique tea can be purchased online via www.teamill.co.za or at www.ninelife.co.za
Infuse 5-6 flowers in 150ml of hot water. Steep for 2-3 mins to get the best results.
Tips: Add some drops of lime juice to create a sweet ‘n sour flavour and turn the luminous indigo tea into a deeper purple color.
Make the Rest of the Drink
- Pour the syrup into a shaker with the water and some of the ice. Shake well. (If you don’t have a shaker, pour into a glass without the ice and stir well).
- Scoop the tapioca pearls into a glass or cup. Pour the mixture over the tapioca. Fill the glass or cup with all of the ice.
- Gently pour the butterfly pea infusion over the ice, to form that layered effect!
- Garnish with mint leaves if preferred and enjoy!
- You can also opt for Litchi popping boba instead of the Tapioca pearls.